Thank you so much for volunteering at the Christmas Market in Trondheim!
Welcome to the digital Volunteer Handbook. Here, you will find practical and important information about volunteering at the Christmas Market. If you have any questions you cannot find the answer to here, please contact the volunteer manager.
|Volunteer Manager||Thekla Nyberg||997 85 659|
|Volunteer Coordinator||Birgitte Mikalsen||954 26 034|
|Arena manager / Exhibitor manager||Sarah Føreland||979 53 378|
|Arena manager / Warehouse manager||Stig Syrstad||482 81 534|
|Responsible Lavvo||Kristian Simonsen||930 39 370|
Facebook group for volunteers at the Christmas market
Volunteer base: The volunteer base is in the east wing of Hornemansgården. The entrance is at the back of the building, from Presidentveita. Here you can take a break, get the Christmas spirit, have a chat and enjoy coffee / tea and snacks. Private clothes, bags and valuables can be stored at the festival base, or in the Lavvo if you are on duty there. The base will be open from 10:30 a.m. to 19:45 every day volunteers have shifts at the Christmas Market.
NOTE! The volunteer base closes 19:45 even on nights with extended opening hours in the Lavvo.
Food: Dinner is served at the Volunteer base from 14:30 to 17:00. The morning shift eats dinner after the end of the shift or by further agreement. The late shift eats dinner before they start on duty or by further agreement. We have bread and toppings at the volunteer base as lunch and supper. Waffles, coffee, tea, and fruit are available throughout the day. Please tidy after yourself.
Lost and found: Bring items to the info booth next to Torvscenen. Items are eventually transported to the festival base and placed in a separate lost property box.
Smoking: No smoking is allowed in the Christmas Market area. If you want to smoke while on duty, you must take off your uniform and leave the market area.
Alcohol and other drugs: It is not allowed to consume alcohol or other drugs before or while on duty.
Everyone should wear name tags when volunteering at the Christmas market. You will get your name tag on your first shift, and keep it throughout the market period.
Host in the Lavvo: Wear an apron and black sweater with the Christmas Market logo when you’re on duty. These are picked up and delivered for washing in the dressing room in the Lavvo.
Other groups: Yellow woolen vest over regular clothes. Vests are picked up and delivered at the volunteer base. Dress according to the weather and whether you will be inside or outside. Remember comfortable shoes! We provide work gloves.
Illness and absence: If you become ill or for some other reason cannot work your shift as planned, you must notify the volunteer manager as soon as possible by phone / SMS.
Benefits: As a heartfelt thank you for your efforts, all volunteers receive the following benefits:
- Food and drink on duty
- 1 food coupon for a free meal in the Lavvo
- Special prices on food and drinks in the Lavvo
- Drinking bottle/thermos cup
- We draw to winners daily in the volunteer Christmas calendar
- Closing dinner in January 2022
- Certificate (on request)
- Those who work 5 shifts or more get an extra surprise
- 2 tickets each for the Ferris wheel as a special 20th anniversary present!
Volunteer discount in the Lavvo
As a volunteer you get a discount on select items from the menu in the Lavvo. To get these prices you need to order at the bar (not your phone!) and show your name badge.
Here are the volunteer prices:
|Hot chocolate||kr 25|
|Dahls Christmas soda||kr 35|
|Mulled wine (non-alcoholic)||kr 25|
|Beer 0,4 L||kr 60|
|Rice porridge||kr 40|
|Reindeer burger||kr 100|
|Fish burger||kr 100|
|Vegan burger||kr 70|
|Sausage (wild garlic or Christmas spices) |
in bread or “lompe”
|Grilled sausage in bread or “lompe”||kr 35|
Everyone is always responsible for:
- Keeping general good order so that an evacuation can be carried out quickly.
- Escape routes should never be blocked. This means that no fixed or loose parts should be placed in a way that can prevent or impede an evacuation. A single chair can, in an emergency, be a real obstacle for the flow of people and cause injuries in a panic. The zipper at the bottom of the escape routes in the lavvo must not freeze in the ice.
- Extinguishing equipment must not be blocked.
- Never throw matches, cigarettes or ashes and the like in trash cans.
- Electrical appliances must be used in accordance with the instructions for use and switched off/disconnected after use.
- Familiarize yourself with the area and with the arena map. Remember to report all matters of importance to the arena manager.
There are professional security guards at the entrance and exit in the Lavvo.
First aid kit and fire extinguishing equipment
- Fire extinguishers can be found in all the vendor booths, in the Lavvo and at the volunteer base.
- Fire blankets: Minimum 3 in the Lavvo and 1 with the arena manager.
- First aid kits are available in the Lavvo and at the volunteer base.
The arena manager has overall responsibility for evacuation. In the event of an evacuation, you must, to the best of your ability, be helpful so that the public can get to safety and leave the area yourself.
In case of emergency / crisis – always remember:
- Think – make up your mind about the situation
- Take control of the situation and secure the site
- Get an assistant(s)
- Make room for the patient(s)
- Provide lifesaving first aid if necessary
- Notify the arena leader or the nearest group leader
- Continue work at the accident site until help arrives
Your behavior is important
- Act calmly
- Introduce yourself
- If possible, bring the patient to a quiet place
- Be understanding
- Never leave the patient alone
Meeting place: By one of the bonfires in the Lavvo
- As a bonfire guard, you are responsible for one of the two bonfires in the Lavvo.
- Your main task is to put on wood skis on a regular basis to maintain a nice flame on the fire. Wood skis are stacked up inside the lavvo.
- You will be given an instruction in fire safety before you go on duty. Being a bonfire guard is a very pleasant task, but it is important that the fire is not left unattended.
- Pay extra attention when there are small children near the fire and make sure they keep a sufficient distance from the heat.
The outdoor group
Meeting place: At the volunteer base in Hornemansgården
The outdoor area is the first thing the visitors encounter when they arrive at the Christmas market, and you help give them a good first impression of the arena. As a volunteer here, you will be in a group that does various practical tasks outside. These tasks are distributed by the outside manager at the start of each shift.
- Serve coffee and chocolates to vendors
- Brewing coffee for coffee rounds
- Empty waste bins
- Setting out benches for the theater performances
- Tidying up in the arena
- Refilling paper and soap in toilets
- Do arena rounds and ensure safety is maintained throughout the market
Host in the Lavvo
Meeting place: At the bar in the Lavvo
- All volunteers in the Lavvo turn to Maja and Thea for training, instructions, and any questions.
- You get a sweater and apron when you start your shift. These are delivered for washing before you go home.
- Each person is responsible for their area, but of course you help each other.
- Continuous clearing of tables.
- All tables must be carefully cleaned before new guests are placed. When the table is ready, this is reported to the placeholder. Also check if the tea candles should be replaced, and that the sheepskins are neatly placed on the benches.
- Waste is sorted according to the following template: residual, glass, cans / bottles with deposit. Several “waste stations” are located in the Lavvo.
- When the waste container is full, replace the bag/container with a new one. Waste is placed in the designated place.
- Used serving trays are delivered in the designated place for washing.
- It is not allowed to stay in the refrigerated containers.
- At the end of the shift, the floor is swept where needed.
- If necessary, there may be questions about contributing with serving food and non-alcoholic beverages. It is allowed to say no to this if you do not want to serve.
Host at the volunteer base
Meeting place: At the volunteer base in Hornemansgården
- Keep the volunteer base clean and tidy. Wipe floors, wash tables, take out the garbage, check the toilet.
- Serve lunch and waffles, and clear away afterwards.
- Pick up coffee/tea water/waffles at Café Horneman when it starts to run out.
NOTE! The café closes at 16:00, so make sure to stock up so we have enough for the rest of the day.
- Put dirty dishes in the dishwasher and start it when it is full. Empty the machine when it is finished.
Notify the volunteer manager if anything needs to be purchased.